5.01.2013

Childhood Poem


Yesterday I wrote a poem for English class. It was supposed to be about a memory in my childhood. So  I wrote it about me throwing mud balls into our next door neighbor's pool. We laugh about it today and are very close now(: Great memories

Enjoy

 (|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)
(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)(|)


Mud Balls
Squelch, squish, squoosh
Wet brown textured globs of earth I pack tightly
Anticipating the fun, moosh
My hands slimy, my creations unsightly

Filled with sticks and all sorts of organic things
I carefully lay them in the sun on wax paper
Oh what joy making these balls brings
Baking in the sun, the liquid turns to vapor

Impatiently waiting for the hour to arrive
I can hardly wait for the real fun to begin
Whoever said that time flies is wrong
I test my weapons, the mud balls finally strong

With glee and rapture I mount my tree fort
Looking down into another’s royal court
I spot my target big, and clean
And catapult my weapon upon which I beam

With a glorious splash it hits the mark
The hard brown dirt clod hits the floor
Making the water turn a bit dark
This excellent result makes me pine for some more

And so not only one but two and three
Mud balls catapult into the pool
Until the lady of the other castle steps out into the court yard to say
“Could you please stop throwing mud balls into the pool!”

“Okay” the meek reply from me
As I laugh aloud inside of me
Oh what fun while it lasted
To see the mud balls like cannonballs blasted
Into the pool


 Did thing like this when you were little? I'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

  1. That reminds me of a time when I was little. We were out camping (pretty remote) and my sister and her friend saw a watermelon in the creek. What a great target for rock throwing! The watermelon was decimated! My mother was soooo embarrassed. Apologies were made, but recompense could not be as it was probably a 4-hour round trip to purchase another watermelon. (If you ever want to store your watermelon in the refrigerator (by that I mean creek)...beware!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vividly remember tearing bits of wallpaper off the wall while I lay in bed. I was probably four or five at the time. My mom found me out after several weeks; there was a growing pile of wallpaper fragments under my bed. She was not happy about having to tape them back on.

    ReplyDelete